0057 - Wholistic Healing Practices and Colonial Trauma Certificate, Module 9 "Colonial Intergenerational Trauma, Substance Use & Supporting Indigenous Women Wholistically"
Wholistic Healing Practices and Colonial Trauma Certificate, Module 9 "Women of the Shining Light: Indigenous Mothers, Substance Misuse, Child Welfare and the Seven Sacred Teachings" is developed and delivered by the Centre for Indigegogy. This two-day module focuses on how, in Canada, Indigenous Peoples continue to experience marginalization, over-representation in the child welfare system, and a higher prevalence of poverty and substance misuse challenges. It highlights Indigenous women in particular because of the oppressive experiences of systemic racism and discrimination they face, including legislation such as the Indian Act and the Child and Family Services Act, which directly targets them. This module is based on research that implemented Indigenous research methodologies to explore ways to increase collaboration between Indigenous families, treatment counsellors, and child welfare workers.
- Understand the root causes of gender-based substance misuse challenges for Indigenous women.
- Understand and incorporate harm reduction methods and how these can be applied to Indigenous mothers and their families.
- Gain knowledge of how child welfare services discriminate against Indigenous women and set them up for failure.
- Develop collaborative relationships between mothers, treatment counsellors and child welfare workers.
- Lessen or eliminate barriers to treatment and effective child welfare supports.
- Appreciate the concept of time when it comes to assisting mothers in their healing journeys and meeting the requirements of child welfare.
- Learn how the Seven Sacred Teachings can be applied to both services and research.
- Knowledge of Indigenous research methods.
This workshop is developed and delivered by the Centre for Indigegogy. To learn more about the Centre for Indigegogy, please visit our website wlu.ca/fsw/indigegogy.
For more information, please contact Raven Morand, Administrative Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RecommendationsThis workshop makes up 14 out of 84 hours required to receive the Wholistic Healing Practices and Colonial Trauma Certificate. Modules 1, 2 and 4 are mandatory core modules.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Wholistic Healing Practices and Colonial Trauma Certificate : Wholistic Healing Practices and Colonial Trauma Certificate