What is the difference between therapy and coaching? What are the objectives, tools and scopes of practice for both? Can I hold myself out as a coach if I’m a regulated mental health professional?
A good many trends are at work in the field of mental health care, and one of them is that therapy is becoming a “go to” for just about everything. While this has created a robust and growing field for those of that practice, it has also introduced complications that muddy the waters of the therapy room. We must grow a toolkit of great clinical skills, but we must also know when to get out of those skills because something else is required. Your clients already possess incredible wisdom and intuition, where sometimes less is more from their therapist. In this two-day workshop we’ll learn:
- The scope, tools and differences between coaching and therapy.
- The difference between a “therapy” client and a “coaching” client.
- Methods, skills and tools that help the coaching process occur.
- Helpful exercises that facilitate application to your own context.
- Knowledge of coaching certification, regulation and its role in contemporary workplaces.
NotesFor more information contact the Faculty of Social Work Professional Development office:
Kitchener: 519-884-0710 ext. 5234
Milton: 519-884-0710 ext. 5234
Online: 519-884-0710 ext. 5234
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Counselling Techniques : Counselling Techniques