The Trauma certificate will provide you with a comprehensive understanding of what trauma is, how it affects the body, the brain and the memory and how trauma differs from crisis and other distress. The program will also explore various types of trauma, such as interpersonal violence and refugee/war experiences, and how other issues, such as addictions, can interact with trauma. Some of the topics covered in this program include:
- The neurobiology of trauma.
- Assessment of trauma.
- Current, evidence-based treatment models for trauma.
- The effects of torture, violence or risk of violence.
- How to effectively manage issues of religion and spirituality while working with triggered refugees or survivors of war.
- The connection between trauma and addiction.
- Flashback management.
- Building resilience in children who have experienced trauma.
- Strategies for managing the effects of secondary traumatic stress.
- The basic steps to implementing trauma-informed care in organizations.
To complete the Trauma certificate, you must take a minimum of 84 course hours. It is strongly recommended that you take the Foundations of Trauma workshop if you do not have extensive training or experience working with trauma. You can complete this certificate in as little as one year or take up to seven years.
You do not have to be working toward the Trauma certificate to take any of these workshops.
Participation and Attendance
Full attendance and participation are required to complete these workshops. Participants are requested, as much as possible, to have their cameras on. We know there are situations where this is not possible, so please send a message to your instructor or the Professional Development host to let them know that you are unable to turn on your camera. Our workshops are interactive and include breakout rooms, role play, group discussions and other activities. Participation is required.
No application required. Select a workshop then a section to view dates and cost, or to add the workshop to your cart. Complete your registration with payment.
For more information about this certificate contact the Faculty of Social Work Professional Development office: