Offered by the Centre for Public Safety and Well-Being - CPSW@wlu.ca
Newly Updated Curriculum Sale! Courses are regular $125, currently on sale for $99. Take all 8 courses for $696.00.
This offering has been approved by the Ontario Ministry of Colleges and Universities as an OSAP eligible micro-credential. To learn more about the process to apply for OSAP micro-credential funding at Laurier, please visit the OSAP for Micro-credential Funding webpage. Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This course will introduce you to the fascinating and rapidly growing world of bitcoin (cryptocurrencies) and blockchain technologies. The future of money rests in digital currency, and the most famous of digital currencies at the time of this writing is bitcoin. Bitcoin, is intimately linked to a technology referred to as blockchain, an unchangeable chronological list of all transactions that can be linked to and confirmed within a given digital currency. This course provides an overview of the definition, history, and application of bitcoin and blockchain and then focuses specifically on their application, along with a brief synopsis of future trends, markets for their application, and the future of crime in the blockchain economy.
- Recognize the historical foundations of bitcoin (digital currencies) and blockchain;
- Identify and interpret the scope, depth, and breadth of the uses and limits of bitcoin (digital currencies) and blockchain;
- Compare and contrast several applications of both bitcoin (digital currencies) and blockchain technology;
- Critically analyze the political, economic, and policy factors that impact the role and use of bitcoin (digital currencies) and blockchain across various sectors; and
- Identify and appraise emerging challenges to bitcoin (digital currencies) and blockchain and consider how these can be addressed.
NotesCan be taken in combination with the other 7 courses in this program for a Certificate in Digital Literacy and Emerging Technologies.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Digital Literacy and Emerging Technologies : Digital Literacy and Emerging Technologies