Module three of the Decolonizing Education Certificate by the Centre for Indigegogy offers a critical Indigenous perspective related to the policies of social control of Indigenous peoples in the late 1800 to 1900s. It may cover topics such as child welfare, foster care, residential schools, criminal justice and intergenerational trauma.
This module begins with cultural history and provides an overview of colonial history. It continues to deepen one's understanding of specific social policies, their impacts and challenges.
Raven brings her vast experience in Indigenous child welfare and her experiences to these sessions. She is a storyteller who blends teaching about social policy with storytelling.
- Examine policy development in Canada from confederation.
- Critically analyze key social, political and economic policies.
- Examine the impact of key policies on Indigenous life.
- Explore residential school and child welfare outcomes
- Learn how to process and integrate the emotionally and psychologically challenging insights that come with learning about Indigenous social policies.
Photo of Dr. Raven Sinclair, PhD (click the link to read their bio)
Participants will leave with:
- An understanding of colonial social policy development in Canada.
- Be able to apply critical analysis to historical and contemporary Indigenous policies.
- Knowledgeable about how policies affect social, political and economic life.
- An understanding of strategies advocating for or against Indigenous policies.
- Greater insight into the contemporary social, political and economic terrain that confronts Indigenous people and communities.
This workshop is developed and delivered by the Centre for Indigegogy. To learn more about the Centre for Indigegogy, please visit our website wlu.ca/fsw/indigegogy.
For more information, please contact Raven Morand, Administrative Assistant at email@example.com.
This workshop makes up 14 out of 84 hours required to receive the Decolonizing Education Certificate.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Decolonizing Education Certificate : Decolonizing Education Certificate