0053 - Wholistic Healing Practices Certificate, Module 5 "Indigenous Incarceration: Providing Trauma Informed Care"
Wholistic Healing Practices and Colonial Trauma Certificate, Module 5 "Indigenous Incarceration: Providing Trauma Informed Care" is developed and delivered by the Centre for Indigegogy. Colonialism, racism, sexism and the over-policing of Indigenous peoples are linked to alarming rates of incarceration of Indigenous peoples. We will discuss the experiences of Post-Traumatic Stress in relationship to the criminalization of Indigenous people and the trauma of incarceration. In this two-day module, participants will gain a better understanding of symptoms of PTSD and foster wholistic healing knowledge and compassion in working with peoples impacted by incarceration.
- Participants will leave with the understanding the colonial context of increasing incarceration rates of Indigenous Peoples’ (particularly Two-Spirit, queer, disabled Indigenous peoples’).
- A deeper knowledge of symptoms of PTSD and how to mitigate those symptoms in a correctional system that continues to cause harm.
- Skills in working with prisoners wholistically within the prison setting.
- Participants will develop skills to advocate for structural and institutional changes as well as advocacy skills for the rights of prisoners.
This workshop is developed and delivered by the Centre for Indigegogy. To learn more about the Centre for Indigegogy, please visit our website wlu.ca/fsw/indigegogy.
For more information, please contact Raven Morand, Administrative Assistant, at email@example.com.
RecommendationsThis workshop makes up 14 out of 84 hours required to receive the Wholistic Healing Practices and Colonial Trauma Certificate. Modules 1, 2 and 4 are required core modules.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Wholistic Healing Practices and Colonial Trauma Certificate : Wholistic Healing Practices and Colonial Trauma Certificate