Brief therapeutic services have emerged as a core component of an agency's modern diverse service menu. As such, single session therapy, often provided through walk-in clinic or call ahead appointment, provides a viable alternative to long waitlists, offering a venue for people to address various life problems at their time of need. This two-day workshop will immerse participants in the thinking and skill set of brief single session therapeutic practice.
Drawing from contemporary 'brief therapies' we will explore concepts and practices that support a collaborative, competency-based, person-centred approach that builds pathways forward drawing from people’s lived experience. You will learn to hear several 'entry points' to possibility that foreground people’s preferences for life and the many skills of living they bring with them to these conversations. A structure for conceptualizing the single session conversation will be provided.
The application of brief therapies theory will be grounded in practical skills that you can use the very next day. Ideas will be explored through didactic presentation, group discussion, skills exercise and video review of conversations with children, and adults. This workshop is well suited to all service providers, beginning and experienced, working in time-constrained contexts with people describing various problems.
Together we will explore:
- Ways of thinking about people, problems and change that relate well to exploring possibility and outline an ethic of practice.
- A design for single session therapy sessions that brings focus, coherence and completion to the process.
- How to listen with a 'brief ear' to quickly hear entry points to possibility.
- Several questions to elicit difference and possibility that foreground competency.
- Practices for co-crafting various 'take-home' documents.
- Ways to co-develop culturally and contextually relevant 'next steps' and extend the conversation well past the session into everyday living.
For more information contact the Faculty of Social Work Professional Development office:
Cancellations and Transfers
Be sure to carefully review our cancellation and transfer information before registering.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Counselling Techniques Certificate : Counselling Techniques