Course DescriptionThis workshop will take an expansive view of harm reduction, allowing participants to gain insights into why, despite the controversy that still swirls around the topic, it is fundamental practice within the addiction field. By the conclusion of the workshop participants should have gained the ability to explain to individuals inside and outside of the addiction field why claiming that harm reduction strategies promote drug use in the same as stating that wearing a seat belt promotes automobile collisions.
- Develop an understanding of the philosophy of harm reduction and how it is a response to Canadian drug policy.
- Develop an understanding of harm reduction principles.
- Understand harm reduction within the context of the social determinants of health.
- Become knowledgeable about health issues that arise due to unsafe drug using practices.
- Learn about core education and prevention programming initiatives in the addiction field.
- Develop an awareness of the range of harm reduction programming options available in Canada.
- Develop an appreciation for the intersection of drug use, sex and safe sex practices.
For more information contact the Faculty of Social Work Professional Development office:
Kitchener: 519-884-0710 ext. 5234
Milton: 519-884-0710 ext. 5235
Online: 519-884-0710 ext. 5235
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Addictions Certificate : Addictions Certificate