Group work can be intimating. Whether we are new to group leadership or have many years of experience, deepening our knowledge of the theory of group counselling empowers our understanding and informs wise leadership. This workshop is intended to integrate awareness of theory with the practice of group counselling.
In this interactive workshop we will engage the workshop content via lecture, videos, case vignettes, practice exercises, small and large group discussion.
This workshop is designed to equip you with an understanding of the following aspects of the theory and practice of group counselling:
• A brief consideration of the various types of counselling groups
• An exploration of the rational for group counselling and what groups uniquely offer, including the value of mutual aid and the therapeutic factors in groups.
• An understanding of group work theory, including the normative stages of group development and its application to counselling groups.
• A deepening of your awareness of leadership considerations, by understanding what happens in groups (process and dynamics) and knowing how to wisely respond across the stages of group development.
• An exploration of how to deal with challenges and uncertainties in your groups and finding the courage you need to lead with confidence.
In thickening our understanding of the process and dynamics of groups we are more equipped to lead with wisdom and courage.
For more information contact the Faculty of Social Work Professional Development office:
Cancellations and Transfers
Be sure to carefully review our cancellation and transfer information before registering.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Counselling Techniques Certificate : Counselling Techniques