0340 - Mental Health Skills for Educators: Psychosis and Disruptive Behaviour Disorders in Children and Youth
The media is full of frightening and inaccurate images and ideas about what it means to have a serious mental illness, like psychosis or a disruptive behavioural disorder. In this course, you will learn factual and accurate information about these two types of serious mental illness, and critical skills to recognize, respond, and support children and youth who may be experiencing these mental health challenges. You will also learn how to teach specific skills and competencies to students to ward off and address misbehaviour from a preventative perspective, and to teach skills and competencies that may help young people better manage an illness like psychosis.
Learn and practice in this fully online micro-credential by participating in the following:
- The Fundamentals of Disruptive Behavioural Disorders and Psychosis
- Responding to Distress and Misbehaviour
- Building Support and Skills
Participants are provided with four weeks from the start date to complete the content on their own time. Typically, this micro-credential can be completed in less than 15 hours. Participants will engage with a range of activities including idea exchange, reflection, checking for understanding, video analysis and case study commentary. Participation in activities is required to complete this micro-credential. Participants will receive electronic proof of completion for their records.
This series of micro-credentials gives educators much needed tools to support young people experiencing mental health challenges and strengthen the mental well-being of all children and youth in their care.
With the identification of mental health issues on the rise, educators need professional development and training opportunities that address mental health and how it impacts students and the learning environment. Developed in partnership with the Faculty of Education, this series of micro-credentials provides educators and related professionals with the opportunity to develop skills, strategies, and resources to support children and youth mental health.
Explore other micro-credentials in this series:
- Introduction to Children and Youth Mental Health: Skills for Educators (Register today for free)
- Skills for Educators: Mood Disorders in Children and Youth
- Skills for Educators: Anxiety in Children and Youth
- Skills for Educators: Suicide and Self-Harm in Children and Youth
- Skills for Educators: Body Image and Eating Disorders in Children and Youth
- Skills for Educators: FASD and Substance Abuse in Children and Youth
- Up to 10 days before the start of course: Full refund less 15% administrative fee.
- One to nine days before start of course: Full refund less 30% administrative fee.
- No refunds will be issued as of the first day of the course.