Two key issues while working with high risk and highly complex clients is how to ensure generalization of therapeutic change within the client’s natural environment and how to reduce the likelihood of burnout within the therapist. Phone coaching, one of the four modes of DBT intervention, provides clients with the support they need to effectively manage high arousal situations without engaging in problematic behaviour. The DBT consultation team is what is affectionately (and accurately) referred to as “therapy for the therapist,” whereby all the same tenets of DBT individual therapy are integrated into a team meeting format that effectively supports DBT clinicians in maintaining their own commitment and adherence to the principles and protocols of the treatment.
By the end of this workshop participants will be able to:
- Develop their own limits around phone coaching.
- Explain the purpose and principles of phone coaching to clients.
- Understand how to use various DBT acceptance and change strategies in short-term coaching applications.
- Understand the structure, roles and principles that guide consultation team.
- Learn how to adequately prepare for consultation team.
- Role play implementation of an actual consultation team meeting.
For more information contact the Faculty of Social Work Professional Development office:
Phone: 519-884-0710 ext. 5234
Cancellations and Transfers
Be sure to carefully review our cancellation and transfer information before registering.