Many social service professionals find themselves in leadership positions in their organizations with little or no management experience. This certificate is designed to provide a detailed overview of the knowledge and skills needed to be a successful, effective leader in any organization. Anyone wishing to prepare themselves for a leadership position will also find this certificate beneficial.
Four required workshops and three electives* ensure participants gain a range of knowledge, with an emphasis on continuous learning, adaptation and creativity in problem solving and service development. You can complete this certificate in as little as one year or take up to seven years.
- Fundamentals of Management
- Human Resource (RM) Management
- Resource Development
- Project Management
Electives (choose three* of the following)
- Accepting and Adapting to Organizational Change in a Disruptive Environment
- Clinical Supervision
- Advanced Clinical Supervision
- Community Consultation and Needs Assessment
- Program Evaluation
- Leadership Coaching: Guiding Conversations Towards Transformation
- Managing Conflict with Confidence and Compassion
* If you completed the three-day Program Development and Project Management workshop prior to 2022, only two elective workshops are required.
You do not have to be working toward the Management and Leadership certificate to take any of these workshops.
You can complete this certificate in as little as one year or take up to seven years.
The Management and Leadership certificate workshops are available through a remote delivery options.
For more information about this certificate contact the Faculty of Social Work Professional Development office:
Phone: 519-884-0710 ext. 5234